Sunday, January 16, 2011

The Dream Continues to Be Important, More Than Ever

I have a lot on my plate this weekend, but I want to make sure I stop in all the hubbub to remember why I have three days off in the middle of January.

This weekend we celebrate Martin Luther King's birthday. Dr. King had a dream, a dream that one day we would all put aside our differences and live together in harmony and equality. We're not there yet, and there are still those who would fight against such a lofty and beautiful idea, but there has definitely been progress since 1963 when Dr. King marched on Washington and delivered his iconic "I have a dream" speech.  I was 10 years old at the time.

The speech itself is about equality for African Americans, but today its hope and message have taken on a global meaning. As technology has turned the world into a village, and we are exposed to activities and actions as they happen, both joyful and horrific, it is more important than ever that we not be judged by the color of our skin (or by our religion or nationality or political beliefs, or even by the size of our body or the size of our bank account) but by the content of our character.

In this busy weekend, take a moment to read Dr. King's speech. I do every year just to remind myself that I have a duty to uphold and further it.

1 comment:

Daphne said...

Sue Ann, thanks so much for this timely remembrance. I couldn't agree more that Dr. King's vision is more important today than ever. If the words of this great speech can continue to move us, and inspire us to strive for the equality Dr. King sought, that is perhaps the best remembrance of all.