Thursday, November 25, 2010

Mince Pie For Breakfast - Hell, Yeah!

Even people who live alone have Thanksgiving traditions. Mine is eating mince pie and ice cream for breakfast on Thanksgiving morning. It doesn’t matter if I’m staying home for Thanksgiving, going to friends, or meeting folks at a restaurant for the main meal, breakfast is always warm mince pie with vanilla ice cream while watching the Macy’s Parade. If I travel for the holiday, I will still trek to Marie Callendars either before or after turkey day to get my mince fix.

It all started when I was a kid. My mother always made a half dozen pies – pumpkin, chocolate cream, apple, lemon meringue, and mince. The sixth pie was either banana cream or something she called danish delight, which was a raspberry, red gel-like filling similar to the lemon filling and covered with meringue. My mother and I were the only ones in the family who liked mince pie. Early on, my mother made it by mixing boxes of dried Nonesuch filling into water and cooking it on the stove before pouring it into the pie shell. Often she would chop up extra apple to add to the box filling. Later Nonesuch put ready-made filling into jars, making it much easier.

On Thanksgiving morning, while Mom was busy cooking the turkey and making the other fixings, my brother and I would eat pie for breakfast. It was quick and a special treat and something we could do for ourselves. There were no microwave ovens back then. Except for the cream pies, we would eat it at room temperature with no ice cream. Over the years I’ve changed the tradition to include warming it up and adding ice cream. My own touch to a family tradition.

Hey – mince pie is full of raisins and apples and ice cream is a dairy product. Fruit and milk – sounds like breakfast to me.

Every year, 2010 being no different, I munch on pie and ice cream shortly after I get up and remember back to my childhood. I think about my brother, Thom, and I, still in our jammies, devouring pie in front of the old black and white TV, while the house filled with the smells of cooking. Soon after, we’d head outside to play until dinner time.

Our family was pretty dysfunctional, even more than most, but once a year warm mince pie conjures up one of the warm and fuzzy memories I hope I’ll never forget.


mrsktj said...

I was just thinking this morning how pie for breakfast is Thanksgiving tradition for lots of folks.

So glad I discovered your blog and books Sue Ann. You are an inspiration to this little sister-Paralegals who secretly writes fiction by night. :)


Little Paralegal-Sister

LibraryJill said...

My mom (the Sandy Patterson in Murder in Vein)always made mince pie for my Dad for Thanksgiving (the mince comes from a jar, don't know the brand). Dad and I were the only ones who liked it and it's still my favorite pie. I have one in the freezer from this Thanksgiving.

Happy New Year, Sue! Are you considering the Mud Run in 2011 or are you booked with writing books? I'm going to try and register at midnight, if I can keep awake that long.

Jill Patterson