Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Here I Come, San Francisco! And I'm Bringing My Heart!

October is not quite halfway over and I'm pooped.  On October 4th I turned in my second vampire novel. My publisher loved it and it looks like its published title might be BAITED BLOOD, which I love.

I had planned on taking a few days off from writing, then plunge back in with the final edits on TWICE AS DEAD, the 6th Odelia Grey adventure.  However, life had other plans.  Or I should say, my day job had other plans.  Ever since turning in BAITED BLOOD, I've been working like a dog at the law firm, chalking up several 10+ hr days, including one that was nearly 15 hrs long. Good bye writing until that's over!  But I don't mind.  I like my job and they are very flexible when it comes to my writing schedule - quid pro quo.

Now that life at the office is quieting down, I'm heading off to San Francisco, one of my absolute all time favorite cities, for Bouchercon 2010.  That's the world mystery conference to you non-mystery loving folks; the annual gathering of mystery writers, agents, editors and fans from all over the world.  Every year it's in a different city.  The last time I attended was several years ago and it was held in Madison, Wisconsin.  Next year it's in St. Louis.

I leave for San Francisco on Thursday morning and my first event is not a Bouchercon event but a speaking gig at the Alameda County Legal Secretaries Association dinner meeting that night.  I love speaking at legal events.  What can I say?  They're my peeps.

The rest of my weekend in SF is as follows:

Friday - 3:00 pm - 4:00 pm - The Midnight Ink Booth in the Bouchercon book room.  If you're at B'Con, please drop by and say hello.  I'm told the booksellers will have the limited hard cover edition of MURDER IN VEIN.

Sunday - 8:30 am - Panel - Clown of Death, a discussion of mysteries on the lighter side, with fellow panelists Sebastian StuartMary Jane Maffini, Lenny Kleinfeld. The panel will be moderated by my Midnight Ink editor, Terri Bischoff.

Sunday - 5:00 pm -  Book discussion and signing at M is For Mystery with Sebastian Stuart; 86 East Third Avenue, San Mateo, CA.

Tonight I'll be packing and getting ready for my flight in the morning.  I'm too tired right now to be very excited about the trip.  Mostly, I just want a day to sleep, but I'm sure I'll get into the swing of things once I'm surrounded by all the hubbub of the mystery world.  After all, they are also my peeps.

1 comment:

Shirley said...

See you at Bouchercon and in San Mateo!