Thursday, July 01, 2010

Out of Focus

I have a problem. I have become unfocused in the past year, unraveling like a cheap sweater caught on a nail. Driven only by deadlines until I'm nearly mad and ready to drop. It's not the writing's fault, or my publisher's, or even mine. I've simply let things get out of hand until my personal life has become a mess.

Hmmm, well, okay, if there is blame, it's going squarely on the shoulders of the vampires in my upcoming Fang-in-Cheek mystery series, due for release in September. Since I first whispered my idea for this series into my agent's ear last September, my life has been totally out of control and slipping more each day. In the last nine months I have written two complete novels and have fleshed out two others. I've also put the spit and polish on Ghost in the Polka Dot Bikini and Murder In Vein, both being released in the next 6-7 months.

When I agreed to slip a third series into the mix, I believed I could do it. I still believe I can and I have. But I need to get better organized. Writing the books isn't the problem. The day job at the law firm isn't the problem. Those are my two constants. It's everything else in between that seems to have gone to hell in a hand basket, taking my common sense along for the ride.

So, yesterday I decided that today, July 1st, is refocus day. In spite of what it often sounds like, I do waste bucket loads of time. I spend way too many hours playing games on the Internet. Too much time in front of TV. Not nearly enough time getting out of my routine. In the past two months, I've stopped exercising, opening mail, cleaning my house beyond just a lick and a promise, and have neglected friends and social obligations. I can't remember the last time I wore lipstick and mascara. Oh yeah - at BEA in NY. That was in May.

I'm becoming that crazy hermit woman with cats.

This has got to stop. Now. Today. This minute. Welcome July 1st.

I'm making the mother of all To-Do Lists and I'm getting it all done and will have fun doing it - DAMMIT. For starters, before there's time to slip on the banana peel of backsliding, I'm going to have a bowl of oatmeal instead of a donut.

Just 6 days until Odelia #6 is due to my publisher. I'm going to get it done and look and feel good doing it. Watch me!


Stacia said...

I have but two words for you: CLEANING LADY.

A.H. Ream said...

You go, girl!

Alan Orloff said...

"I'm becoming that crazy hermit woman with cats."



Mark said...

Sounds like a great way to celebrate the New Year. Oh wait, that's the accountant in me talking about the fiscal year again, isn't it?

Seriously, good for you regaining your focus. If you aren't balancing life, you aren't having fun. And if you aren't enjoying life, everything will begin to suffer.