Saturday, July 03, 2010

Next Stop - DEADLINE JUNCTION

This chant should really be:

I'd damn well better!

I'd damn well better!

I'd damn well better!

I have just 4 days until I must hurl my latest Odelia Grey manuscript into the black hole of e-mail to my editor. 4 days. 3 full days if you want to get technical.

A deadline is the thorn in the side of every author. We hate writing under pressure - writing ON DEMAND, so to speak. Yet, without deadlines, we would meander and languish over each and every word for days, weeks, months - yea, years - until we felt we had it just right.

Deadlines keep me focused. Deadlines remind me this is a business not unlike Amtrak. There are schedules to keep and people are depending on you. And when the train finally pulls into the station, often there are folks waving hankies with smiles and words of greeting.

I know I can. I know I can. I know I can.

2 comments:

A.H. Ream said...

I know you can, too.

Shirley said...

You knew you could. You knew you could. You knew you could.

Congrats on writing "The End."