Sunday, July 11, 2010

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, SCOUT!

Today is the 50th anniversary of the publication of Harper Lee’s Pulitzer Prize winning novel To Kill A Mockingbird.

If it were a wedding anniversary, I would be offering up gifts of gold. Instead, it has given me gold.

To Kill a Mockingbird is my favorite novel of all time. I even own a signed copy of the 40th anniversary edition.

There was a period in high school and early college when I read so many of the great American classics, one after the other, and for fun, not for class assignments. In addition to Mockingbird, I remember gobbling up A Tree Grows In Brooklyn, A Member of the Wedding, The Heart is a Lonely Hunter, The Jungle, A Light in the Forest, The Yearling, just to name a few. It was an education that has served me well over the years and definitely influenced both my desire to be a writer and my drive to be one.

I’m going to read To Kill A Mockingbird again this summer, but I’ll have to pick up a paperback. No way am I putting my grubby paws on my signed copy.

Thank you, Harper Lee, for enriching my life ... for giving me gold.

2 comments:

jhrf432 said...

IS VERY GOOD..............................

Diana said...

To Kill a Mockingbird is also one one my all time favorites!! 50 years... isn't that amazing.
Gone with the Wind was also one that I read each summer as a teen. I wore out that poor paperback til it was held together by rubberbands. 20 years later my honey convinced me to let it RIP.