Saturday, July 24, 2010

For My Viewing Pleasure

Spy shows must be the new rage. At least it seems that way to me. I’ve always been a fan of USA’s Burn Notice. It smart, sassy and rather tongue-in-cheek. I love it!

Now USA has released a new show – Covert Affairs. It stars the charming Piper Perabo as a very green CIA agent working out of Langley. The rest of the cast is just as likeable as Perabo, especially Christopher Gorham who plays Auggie, the blind but in no way disabled CIA vet who shows her the ropes There have only been two episodes of Covert Affairs so far and I have enjoyed both. It’s on Tuesday nights at 10, or catch it via On Demand as I do. (A special thank you shout out to USA for making their great shows available on On Demand. Otherwise, I’d hardly ever catch them.)

This fall NBC is releasing Undercovers, a husband and wife spy show by J. J. Abrams (Lost). The teasers for Undercovers hooked me immediately and reminded me of a ramped up Hart To Hart. The spies are played by the equally gorgeous Boris Kodjoe and Gugu Mbatha-Raw as married former CIA agents drawn back into the spy life. The show also stars veteran Gerald McRaney.

I’m sure all these shows have and will receive their share of negative comments, but this is TV fiction folks. It’s escapism, not a documentary, and as with novels, the watcher is expected to suspend a little belief in return for entertainment. So, entertain me!

Last night was a rare night for me. I watched 3 hrs of TV – 3 shows back-to-back: Royal Pains (another fun USA show – a doctor with MacGyver type skills), Burn Notice and The Good Wife (another BIG favorite of mine). BUT, and this is a big but (not to be confused with my big butt), I had already put in quality and productive time on my current manuscript. TV never comes before my writing.

Also coming up soon on my watching radar: the return of Weeds (YAY!) and the premiere of Showtime’s The Big C, both on August 16th, and the return of the fabulous Dexter on September 26th. The Big C stars two of my favorite actors, Laura Linney and Oliver Platt. Gabourey Sidibe also appears on this comedy/drama about a woman rediscovering herself after being diagnosed with cancer.

Another must watch show for me is Drop Dead Diva. If you haven’t seen this Lifetime original series yet, do so. It’s positively charming and has a lot of guest cameos. My favorite is Rosie O’Donnell as a crusty judge. Alas, this show is not on On Demand (wake up Lifetime!), so catching it tends to be a crap shoot. Fortunately, it’s aired on Sunday nights at 9 pm when I’m usually home and done with my writing.

I’m also into the current seasons of True Blood and Top Chef.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know, I watch a lot of TV. With my tough writing schedule, I’m sure folks wonder why and how I manage to sit in front of the tube as much as I do. As I mentioned earlier, On Demand aids me in my addiction. Also, I watch during my dinner time.

TV is the perfect unwind activity for me. It requires no effort on my part, unlike reading and physical activities. I just have to put my butt in a chair and focus. But I do only watch about 1 hr a night during the week; maybe 2 if I catch a movie or a special show. On weekends I seldom turn on the TV until Sunday evening. Otherwise, I’d never get anything done. And if I do watch more than an hour, I multi-task with chores I can do in front of the tube.

And just so you don’t think I’m a total tube head – I also read 1 hour a day. I just started reading Insignificant Others by Stephen McCauley.



1 comment:

Mark said...

You watch more TV than you give yourself credit for. I'm in awe that you are able to follow those shows and still crank out the books. I certainly can't do that.