Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Travel Is Never This Easy ... For Me

Okay, something is definitely wrong.

In 24 hrs I will be heading for LAX to grab a flight to Washington DC to begin a 10-day trip. The trip is a combination book conference, book signings, book research and family visit. The last time I took a trip this long was September 2007, when I did another combo book trip concluding with family.

I'm always nervous when leaving home for so long. I worry about the cats, even though I'm leaving them in capable hands. I worry that I haven't packed properly. I worry that I've forgotten something important I needed to do. I make a list and check it twice - like Santa. And I'm ALWAYS scrambling the night before like a crazy woman.

See, that's the problem. I'm not scrambling. Last night I got my clothes ready. This morning I'm packing. Tonight, instead of my usual mad, late night rush of activity, I'll actually have time to give myself a much needed manicure and watch some TV. And get to bed early. Even the projects at the law firm are caught up.

This can't be. I must have forgotten something. Tomorrow morning, while driving to LAX, something is going to bite me on my big fat ass. I just know it.

After the Malice Domestic Conference, I have several book signings that I've listed below. If one of these is in your area, come on down and say hello. I'd love to meet you. You won't be able to miss me. I'll be the woman mumbling to myself, still lost in the insecurity that I've forgotten something back in Los Angeles.

May 3, 2010 - 4:00 p.m. - 8:30 p.m.
Greek Orthodox Church
12 Washington St.,Oakmont, PA

May 8, 2010 - 11 a.m. - 1 p.m.
Book Signing at Millbury Barnes and Noble
The Shoppes at Blackstone Valley
70 Worcester Providence Turnpike #5
Millbury, MA 01527
Phone: 508-865-2801

May 8, 2010 - 2 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Book Signing at Worcester Barnes and Noble
541-D Lincoln Street
Worcester, MA 01605
Phone: 508-853-9478


Valerie said...

Oh, I do wish you'd come to Indiana. If you ever do, let me know, okay?
I hate how I forget something and I know it. The mind is a horrible thing sometimes. And it's okay to mumble to yourself. I can't tell you how many times that I've had a client hang around outside my door because they thought I was on the phone. When I turn around to face the window of my office, I stop in mid-sentence and look like a complete loon. You're in good company.
What kind of kitty cats do you have? My part Siamese, part Calico kitty is spoiled rotten. When my husband and I went on our honeymoon last year, we had to leave the critters at home and had someone check on them every day. My mother tried to take my dog home with her so that the dog didn't get lonely, but that didn't work out. When she brought the dog back home, she said that she thought she saw the cat heave a big sigh as if to say, "Did you really have to bring her back? I was enjoying myself."
Be safe on your travels!

Mark said...

You forgot to send me a check for $1 Million.

There, now that you've been reminded what you forgot to do, relax and have a fun trip.