Thursday, March 18, 2010

Remembering Priorities

Sometimes I have to be a grown up and make grown up decisions. I hate having to do that.

In the past two days I've had to review my current schedule and my future obligations, and draw some sensible conclusions.

When I was a kid, my father always said my eyes were bigger than my stomach. Of course, he was referring to the fact that I could eat like a logger, which then left my stomach being much bigger than my eyes. But my eyes are also bigger than my abilities when it comes to setting realistic goals.

I've had to dump my plans to participate in the 2011 LA Marathon. It was a goal I set in January with my usual heat-seeking missile attention and had already been working towards. Setting aside this goal wasn't a decision I made lightly and it wasn't made without deep sadness. I love setting goals and attacking them like a mad dog in August, but the truth is, this time I had to be sensible. (There's that grown-up thing again.)

There were several reasons for the abandonment of the marathon:

1) I simply do not have the time it takes to properly train for something like this. Already my time at the gym has disrupted my writing schedule and I've only just begun. In the fall, several months before the event, I would have had to throw myself single-mindedly into training for the marathon in order to be ready. I'm still going to go to the gym several times a week. I love it and I love the way it makes me feel and look, but I simply cannot devote as much time as I had been and keep up with the writing, book promotion and paralegal career.

2) My knees. Period. I have gimpy knees. One has arthritis. The other was injured following the 2009 Mud Run. Now I seem to have tendinitis in the injured one. Even if I lost a lot of weight before the marathon, I'm not so sure I want to sacrifice what's left of my knees by pounding for 26 miles on pavement.

3) Book obligations abound. This goes hand-in-hand with #1 above. I have book contracts coming out my heiny and I need to concentrate on fulfilling those with the best quality work I can produce. And every book I write, is a book I must promote. My writing career is really starting to soar and I need to keep my focus on that top priority. One look at my calendar and you'll see what I mean.

Goal adjustment: Two years ago I set the goal of losing 100 lbs. To date I've shed nearly 40. Not exactly as speedy as I would like, but it has been done in a healthy manner without deprivation. And I feel great and am surprised by how much stronger I am physically. I'll return to making this my physical goal.

And maybe, just maybe, I'll do the Mud Run again in 2011. I've already crossed out the weekends in the middle of June just in case. In the meantime, I have the Ronald McDonald 5K coming up and I'm sure I'll fit in a few other fun events, as time permits.

In the end, it boils down to keeping my eye on the prize - my writing. It's the gold standard when it comes to my personal goals and I can never lose sight of that.

It sucks realizing I can't do it ALL.

5 comments:

G.M. Malliet said...

That balance...so hard to maintain, isn't it? In your recent video (please would you post the link here, I've lost track of it) you look terrific, tho, so you must be doing something right.

Holly West said...

I've recently had to make a grown up decision too. I didn't like it any more than you liked making yours, but I did feel an enormous sense of relief once the decision was made. Hope you're feeling like that too.

Frankly, I'm impressed with your 40 pound weight loss and knowhat even if it takes another 10 years to lose the other 60, you will t do it if it's something you want to do. If not, well hey, that's okay too.

I ran a marathon in 2006. I never thought I could do it, but I did, and it taught me I could do anything I set my mind to. The one thing I wanted to do more than anything was write books! So look at it this way, you're living my dream without the hard work of a marathon. ;-)

But what I really wanted to say is that I trained for that marathon for 16 weeks and every ounce of spare energy I had went into it. Even when you talked about doing it at your book launch I thought "who is this, Superwoman?" I found out the answer was yes, but even Superwoman needs to have priorities. Sounds like yours are as they should be. Remember--sanity is a big part of being healthy. ;-)

Sue Ann Jaffarian said...

The links to the videos are posted now, Gin. And, thanks!

Mark said...

I wondered about your ability to do this and write your books at the same time. Not that it made the decision any easier for you, I'm sure.

Take care of those knees. And if you want some company at the 2011 Mud Run, let me know.

Diana said...

I'm thrilled you made the right decision. Your health comes first. You are doing the right things; eating healthy, working out in the gym, and focusing your energy on positive thoughts and pursuits.
You are a role to so many of us, and admitting when you need to take a goal off your plate shows us that we can do so without feeling it is a defeat.
Congrats!!! I still want to be YOU when I grow up.