Monday, February 01, 2010

I Did It. I Really Did It!

Today is February 1st. My deadline for Murder In Vein was February 1st.

About 30 minutes ago, I hit the send button on an e-mail that shot the finished manuscript for Murder In Vein from my computer into the hands of my editor at Midnight Ink. As you may recall, on December 2, 2009, my editor called and asked if I could deliver the first book in my new vampire mystery series by February 1st. I gulped and said, why yes, of course.

Since then I've been running a writing marathon, complete with updates on Twitter, Facebook and here. Since then, I've pounded out 36 chapters, representing nearly 80,000 words.

And I still maintained a day job. The manuscript was completed with no small thanks to several long holiday weekends and a couple of vacation days thrown into the mix.

Normally, the routine is I submit a manuscript. About a week or two later my editor will send me editorial suggestions and I'll be given a couple of months to make the final edits before it is sent off to my production editor. The production editor readies the book for printing. Right before it heads to print, I get one last look at it, about nine months after I've submitted my original manuscript.

Meet the accelerated version: I sent in manuscript today. I have until next Monday to complete my edits. In May I'll be doing my production edits. September 1st Murder in Vein will be released - seven months from submission.

I did it, yes, but I wouldn't recommend writing a novel this way unless you're looking for a one-way ticket to the Funny Farm.

4 comments:

Mark said...

Congrats again! I can't even beging to fathom doing it, so my hat is off to you.

Alan Orloff said...

Amazing!

Deborah Sharp said...

Ditto what Alan said: Absolutely amazing. You're not human.

Diana said...

Come on, admit it... I bet co-workers had to give you mouth-to- mouth on occasion in order to resuscitate you!!! (wink wink)