Friday, January 08, 2010


I was really bummed when I realized that I didn’t have time to do the Camp Pendleton Mud Run this coming June. Several of my friends are doing it and I had a long face while I watched the race fill up without me.

But …

Not to be without personal goals I can sink my teeth into, I cast about in search of another worthy event and found a winner. And you’re hearing it here first.

My next personal goal is to do the LA Marathon.

Yes, you read that right – THE LA MARATHON. 26.2 miles. But don’t grab your chest and pass out, I’m not planning on the one scheduled for March 2010, but the race scheduled 14 months from now on March 20, 2011. That’s 436 days to be exact.

No, I don’t have a death wish. And the longest distance I’ve ever done has been a 10K (see photo above). But I do have the desire to be the healthiest person I can be. I enjoyed training for the Mud Run. I lost 30 lbs doing it and am in the best physical shape now than I have been in for years, which isn’t saying much. But why stop there when I still have room for improvement? Lot’s of room! Being the sort who responds best to deadlines and challenges, this seemed like just the ticket. And I’m happy to say, and so are my middle-aged knees, that they have walking and walk/run participants. I want to walk/run the marathon.

Unlike my Mud Run training, I’m getting help with this one. Last night I joined the Ballys Total Fitness gym down the street from my apartment and hired a personal trainer. We have our first session Tuesday morning at 7am. I met with Justin last night and he is stoked to help me make this happen.

Along my 14 month journey I will be blogging, Tweeting and Facebooking about it for those interested. And there will be photos. So stay tuned.

Every January I adopt a motto for the year. Last year it was “Shake it Off.” This year it’s:


(BTW, for those of you following this blog, the gym and trainer are taking the place of the flat screen TV. Paralegal Sue Ann and Writer Sue Ann were in total agreement on this.)


Barbara Moore said...

I love this!!!! And I love that both Sue Anns are in agreement and threw the TV idea out the window.

I am just training for a 5K, but now I want to do a marathon. What a wonderful say that I ran a marathon some time in my life.

You are such an inspiration!


Alan Orloff said...

You do like a challenge, don't you! Based on your other accomplishments, I have no doubt you'll be walk/running that marathon!

Good luck!

L.B. said...

That is awesome!!! You can totally knock the pants off the LA Marathon!

Go Sue Ann!!

Mark said...

Somehow, when I saw you promoing this on Facebook, I knew this was what you were going to announce.

I am impressed.

I have no desire to run a marathon ever, so you won't inspire me to run it, too, like you did the mud runs this year.

But I absolutely know you can do this. And I will be cheering you on over the next few months.

A.H. Ream said...

One piece of advice: Buy good shoes. As my husband says, "Running shoes might be expensive, but they are cheaper than surgeons."