Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Sleep Writing

A couple of days ago I posted about how I was not happy with all the work I'd recently put into my manuscript for Odelia #6, due very soon. Yesterday morning and last night I fudged with it, deciding about 1/2 - 2/3 of it is salvageable, but I still did not have a clear picture on the new direction for the plot. Usually this is not a problem for me at all. Usually my problem is I have too many ideas. But in this case, as I wrote deeper into the manuscript, I realized my original plot was boring and dull. If it bores me, I can just imagine how my readers would feel. Can't have that!

Last night I went to bed at 12:30, rather late for me for a work night. As I drifted off to sleep, possibilities for Odelia #6 hopped around like sheep jumping a fence. It helped me get to sleep, but didn't present any brilliant solutions.

I went to bed thinking about Odelia #6 and woke a few hours later thinking about book #1 in my vampire series. Not sure how that transpired, but being someone who does not get up to jot down nocturnal ideas, I took mental notes on the vampires, thanked my muse, and drifted back to sleep.

Fast forward to 6:30 am. Late for me to rise during the week, but I was tired. Instead of getting up, I stayed in bed and let my mind drift. Low and behold, it drifted smack dab into a great idea for Odelia #6. An idea that blends beautifully with most of what I've already written. I stayed in bed until 7:30, kneading the new idea like a lump of bread dough until I was satisfied and very excited. Sometime during the night my brain had done a little housekeeping and sorted out out the junk in my head, leaving a clean and clear path to the manuscript. Yeeeeeeee ha!

Unfortunately, I have to go to work early every day this week, so this new idea will have to wait until I get home tonight to be folded into the manuscript.

Houston, we now have lift off!

Painting - Counting Sheep by Karen Aune.


Alan Orloff said...

Way to go, Sue Ann! You're fortunate--when I think up great ideas in the middle of the night, they come out the next morning like, "Tires sit under the roof without pain, until Nancy finishes knitting." Or some such nonsense.

Diana said...

Your subconcious mind is so powerful. When you sleep is when you get your brainstorms and work out your plot strategies. It's impressive!!
I'm anxiously awaiting the new chapters....

Hannah Dennison said...

Can I borrow your muse? I am SO not happy with Vicky #4!!