Tuesday, December 15, 2009

A Baby Vampire Gets Its Name

A lot of folks think authors get to choose the titles of their books. Not so. Same goes for the covers. But I've been very lucky on both counts. Usually my publisher considers my titles and asks me if I have suggestions for the cover. There has little trouble or controversy when naming the Odelia Grey books. Except for Booby Trap, all have been my title suggestions.

The Ghost of Granny Apples series has been a different kettle of fish. With the first book, the publisher wanted something different than just The Ghost of Granny Apples. In the end, I came up with Ghost a la Mode, but not until after both the publisher and I turned over dozens of possibilities looking for a winner. We're going through the same problem with Granny Apples #2. They didn't like my original title or my suggestions, and I didn't like their suggestions. Dozens of titles later, we're close but still no cigar. But we are definitely getting closer. Not that it matters any time soon, because the release of Granny Apples #2 has been rescheduled until February 2011 (more on that in a later post).

Okay, so now we have series #3. A vampire series, no less. Since starting the manuscript, I've been calling the first book in the series I Could Bite You Forever. Cute and catchy, but the publisher didn't think it fit with what they've seen so far of the manuscript, and told me so this morning. But they also gave me a suggestion, a great suggestion. Unlike the Granny Apples titles, I doubt we'll be going to the mat on this one.

Drum roll, please ...

Coming in September 2010 to a bookstore near you :

Murder in Vein by Sue Ann Jaffarian

5 comments:

Chatty said...

I love it! Who'd have thought they'd come up with something so cool right off the bat...ahem...bat...; )

Alan Orloff said...

Excellent title!

Beth Solheim said...

A capillary idea!

Sharon Hopkins said...

A bloody good choice!

Rachel said...

That's funny because Booby Trap was the first title of yours I heard about (via Mystery Bookstore on Twitter) and I thought "I want to find out more." Excited for all the new books - I am not much of a vampire person but will indeed by reading this one.