Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Hey Folks, Watch Me Pull A Book Out of My Butt

You’re hearing it here first.

My current publisher, Midnight Ink, has given me a 3-book deal for my Doug and Dodie Dedham mystery series. The Dedhams are your normal, retired, active couple. They love to dance, play bridge, and enjoy tennis. Attractive and vibrant, they could be the poster children for AARP . Dodie is nurturing and loves to bake. Doug is the kind of guy who might ask you to pull his finger. They also stick their noses where they don’t belong and help solve local crimes.

Oh, by the way, did I mention they’re vampires?

Oh, yes, they are!

Now I know you’re used to seeing vampires who are hot and sexy and brooding. Vampires who create heart-throbbing havoc amongst young hormonal women. Vampires who all seemingly entered the realm of the undead while under 35 years of age.

The Dedhams and I are asking you to think outside the coffin.

The first book in the Dedham mystery series is entitled I Could Bite You Forever and is scheduled for release September 2010.

Yes, you read that right – 2010.

Yesterday, the book was scheduled for release in September 2011. But this morning around 7ish, I received a call from my editor asking if I could get them the finished manuscript by February 1st because they wanted to launch it in 2010. They had their reasons and they were all valid and understandable.

With my editor on the phone, I pulled up my manuscript-in-progress and noted that I had 6 chapters written on I Could Bite You Forever. After thinking it over for about 30 seconds, I said, No problem.

Neither alcohol nor crack were involved in my decision.

Okay, so there goes my birthday and Christmas and New Years. I’ve scratched 3 holiday parties off my list and alerted my close friends that they may not see me until sometime in February.

I’m thinking of this as the Mud Run but with my fingers instead of my feet.

OORAH!

7 comments:

Mark said...

So what does this mean for Granny Apple #2? Your fans want to know these important details.

(And I'm thinking I need to catch up on Odelia soon. You are trying to keep me in books all by yourself, aren't you?)

Alan Orloff said...

CONGRATULATIONS, Sue Ann! Terrific news!

Think outside the coffin! Ha!

Shirley said...

Wow! Is this three books in three months? Congrats on the new series - and just think, a "mud run" for your fingers will be a lot less messy than the actual "mud run." LOL!

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

This is great news and a terrific premise. Congratulations, Sue Ann!

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder

Hannah Dennison said...

If anyone can do it - you can. You are my role model Sue Ann -- you have impeccable work ethics and a brilliant imagination that leaves me at the starting post. I just LOVE the sound of your vampire series --- you won't be alone. This is the 3rd Christmas I have had to cancel because of a deadline.

Marilyn Victor said...

What a great idea! I love it! Even vamps have to grow old. Can't wait -- and guess I won't have to wait long. Good luck with the writing.

Stacia said...

That hole-lifting invention will be more important than ever!! But when are you gonna have time to work on THAT?!?!

STAY HEALTHY!!!!!!!!!