Wednesday, December 09, 2009

An Early Bird With Second Thoughts

Does the early bird really catch the worm, or does the early bird just yawn and wonder why in the hell she's not still in her warm bed? The cats are still in bed. But then they're a lot smarter than I am. I know that. I accept that.

I am an early riser. My usual morning routine is 1) bathroom, 2) feed cats, 3) read e-mail, 4) starting writing. A couple times a week exercise is thrown into the mix.

I've been doing this for years. Generally, the writing time is about 2 hours long, followed by getting ready to go to my job at the law firm. On weekends, the initial writing time is a 3-4 hour block before I get dressed - IF I get dressed. But lately it's been tough getting up and hitting the keyboard. And forget going outside to walk.

You see, it's cold! Yeah, yeah, yeah. I know. I live in Southern California. Boo hoo hoo.

But it has been very cold here, at least by our standards. My apartment has heat, but it's a small wall unit that is only of any use if you're in the living room. I write in my bedroom and since I don't use a laptop, I stay in my bedroom. This morning the thermostat in the living room says it's 64 degrees. I'm sure my bedroom is a degree or two colder. I'm writing bundled up in an oversized chenille rob that could easily kick a Snuggie's ass.

My writing time today will be cut short because I have to be to work early. For a change, I'm not unhappy about that. Although it means I will have to work longer tonight to stay on track to meet my February 1st deadline. But that's okay. It's a lot warmer in my apartment in the evenings. But even my office at the law firm is chilly. We're all freezing there, too. We haven't decided if the building is still running the air conditioning or not running any heat, but we're all bundled up in our offices. Some are even wearing their jackets inside and many are wearing heavy scarfs.

What can I say? We're Californians. We're nuts on so many levels and not as hardy as people in Minnesota or Wisconsin. Our blood has been thinned by organic this and legally prescribed that.

I wonder if anyone would notice if I wore my robe today at work? It could be the first "Bring Your Robe To Work Day."

1 comment:

Stacia said...

We keep our upstairs (master bedroom/bath) thermostat set at 50 degrees year-round. It's a bitch getting out of a nice hot shower in the middle of winter, I can tell you...

I invested in a Vornado Room Heater last year ( when the price of heating oil was so high. It's lightweight, not very noisy, heats up my home office (12' by 12') like a dream, doesn't even get slightly warm to the touch, and is so simple to operate that a caveman can use it! However, you WILL notice an increase in your electric bill. But if electricity is included in your rent....

By the way, it's snowing here. Maybe 5" so far and it's supposed to turn to sleet, freezing rain, and maybe rain....