Monday, December 14, 2009

Best Laid Schemes o' Mice an' Scribes

The plan was to come home on Friday night and write nearly non-stop until I had to go to work Monday morning.

What was it that Robert Burns penned? Oh yeah.

The best laid schemes o' mice an' men...

There are now 49 days until I Could Bite You Forever, the first book in my new vampire series is due to my publisher.

49 - eeek! I think I just saw a mouse.

Friday was our holiday party at the law firm. At 1 pm the firm closed down and we all went off in the rain to Spago for lunch, work or no work. Spago in Beverly Hills is Wolfgang Puck's flagship restaurant. The food was divine and Wolfgang Puck himself came out to say hello. I could have dined solely on the miniature crab cakes and pizza slices they passed around as appetizers, but glad I didn't. My striped bass entree was so wonderful I wanted to lick the plate clean, and nearly did. The champagne and wine flowed like, well, champagne and wine.

After lunch I returned to the office to pack up some binders for delivery to an attorneys home. That's all I had to do - throw them in a box and send them off with a messenger - then I could go home and start my madcap writing weekend. But even through my slight alcoholic buzz I was able to spot that something wasn't right with the documents I'd prepared for an out-of-town deposition on Monday morning. Crap. Crap. Crap.

After calling the attorney on his cell, who was ever so nice and on his way home after the party, I went home with plans to return to the office on Saturday. Once at home, I discovered I was too fuzzy to write anything coherent for a couple of hours so relaxed (aka dozed) before hitting the keyboard.

Saturday morning I was at the office by 7:30 am, ready to right my wrong. I managed it, but it wasn't easy with copiers that broke down and supplies that were almost depleted. I personally drove the 2 boxes of binders to the attorney's house, then went home where I crashed on the sofa. That was 2 pm.

4 pm found me at the Mystery Book Store at Westwood for the launch party of Exposé!, Hannah Dennison's latest book. Even with pouring rain, the place was packed and we feasted on tiny mince pies, cheese and mulled wine. Hannah was her usual lovely and funny self. I also managed to pick up the last of my family's Christmas presents. After, it was back home where I was still too tired to bang on the keys. The amount of writing done on Saturday - a big fat zero!

Sunday was a writing day. FINALLY! And a very productive one. I Could Bite You Forever is over 25% done and is on track for timely completion. Early readers have loved it so far. The finished chapters still need a lot of tweaking, but the story and characters are behaving and helping me charge through the manuscript.

Later in the day I took a break and wrapped presents and did some chores. At dinner time I watched the finale of Dexter. WOW! WOW! WOW! I won't say more because so many of my friends wait and watch it on DVD, so I won't spoil it for them. But I will say this: John Lithgow should get an Emmy!

Now it's off to the law firm again. Writing again tonight and tomorrow morning, and every day after that until the book is done - unless the mouse in my life has other plans. In that case, I will call in the cats to keep him in line, at least for the next 49 days.

No comments: