Sunday, October 18, 2009

Wanted - Serious Art Patron (without the wink)

Often in old movies, we are introduced to the “art patron.” A wealthy man or woman who subsidizes a budding artist financially so that the artist – a composer, painter, writer – can continue being brilliant on his or her road to discovery without the crushing worries of expenses. Sometimes the title “art patron” came with a sly wink. Sometimes not.

Recently in an interview, I was asked what was the one thing I know now that I wish I’d known before I started writing. My answer was that I wish I had known more about the business side of writing. That answer is true, but sanitized. I do wish I had known more about the biz of writing and publishing, but more to the point, I wish I had known how much out-of-pocket money it was going to cost me for promoting my work, because without full blown promotion, even the best books can die on the vine.

This brings up another valid question. Had I known the rocky debt road ahead of me, would I still have continued down the path? Absolutely! You see, this is my dream. It’s all I’ve ever wanted to be. I was born to write. It’s the only thing in my life that comes as easy to me as breathing in and out. And I think I’m pretty good at it. I can also say, without even a slight blush, that I am one of the hardest working authors on the planet.

According to my agent, my manager, the producer who optioned my Odelia Grey series, and even some murmurings from my publisher, I am about to “break through.” This means my books and my sales could hit it big in the future. It means my dreams are about to explode onto the scene.

You know what? My gut is telling me that, too. Even when I feel crushed emotionally, financially, and spiritually by the business of writing, I keep going, like the Energizer Bunny, convinced in my stout heart that all my dreams will soon be realized.

Film producers have backers
Olympic hopefuls have sponsors
Painters have patrons

This writer needs one of the above to keep fighting the good fight.

My manager and I have kicked around several ideas to package me for investment purposes. Basically, we need to find an investor/sponsor/backer/patron who can fund the writing expenses of my career for this last leg of the journey without needing a quick return. Remember, publishing moves SLOWLY.

If you know of someone who might be interested in discussing a professional and proper arrangement, please pass this along to them. Interested parties should contact me at

No comments: