Thursday, September 10, 2009

Brunch with Me is Cheaper

The first time I heard about the eBay auction for dinner with Sarah Palin, I thought, but of course!

Whether or not you like the former VP candidate and governor of Alaska, this is a great marketing gimmick to raise money for charity. After all, if you're a fan of Palin's you'll be happy to spend time with the woman for a worthy cause. If you're not, it'll be good for a few laughs and some spectacular stories to tell your friends.

Personally, I'd rather have dinner with Tina Fey, but then, who wouldn't?

Then I read the fine print, some of which is here: Dinner shall last no more than four hours, but could be less, in the sole discretion of Sarah Palin.* Governor Palin reserves the right to refuse dinner with a winning bidder if, in her sole discretion, the winning bidder is not a suitable bidder based on her subjective standards of suitability, professionalism, background and other factors. In the event the high bidder is rejected for this reason, the high bidder's bid will be refunded, if paid, and the next highest bidder shall be notified, and thereafter, until a suitable match is determined. (emphasis added)


So, even if you spend TENS OF THOUSANDS (the current bid is at $37,700) and win this auction AND pass the mandatory background check, Sarah can still turn up her perky, ignorant nose at you and yell "next." And she can keep yelling "next" until someone she deems suitable is found amongst the bidders. And even then, she only has to stay however long she wants. There is no minimum time requirement for her presence.

Kind of like the way she treated her governor's term, isn't it.

I often donate character names in my books for charities, and once even auctioned off lunch with me personally, and I picked up the check and stayed for the entire meal. Security issues aside, I didn't check out the bidders first for suitability or retain the right to choose someone else. The winning bidder was the winning bidder. (We had a great time, BTW!)

So, here it is:

Who wants to have bunch with me and donate money to breast cancer? Think I'm kidding? Stay tuned...


Diana said...

You're more popular than Sarah Palin, you'll raise way more than 37,000!

Lynne_in_CA said...

Dang, I gave up a shot at brunch with you last weekend and all I had to do was pay my own way...darn cold!!