Monday, August 24, 2009

Sue Ann Does The Bay Area - Sort Of

No, this weekend I didn't make a trip to San Francisco, one of my favorite cities. Rather San Francisco, or more specific, the Bay Area, came to me.

Saturday, I took time out from my feverish writing to visit the Mystery Bookstore where pal Sophie Littlefield was down from the Bay Area to hawk her new book, A Bad Day for Sorry. With Sophie were Margaret Grace (Malice in Miniature), Juliet Blackwell (Secondhand Spirits) and Ann Parker (Leaden Skies), three other Bay Area ladies of mystery that I know. Check out these fine authors who represent four distinct subgenres of the mystery world. It was a fun time and buds Eric Stone and Ashley Ream were also there. Then it was back home to work on my own manuscript.

After getting up very early to write on Sunday morning, I met up with long-time friend Leila Sarkisian, who lives in SF but was down in LA this weekend for a family event. We hadn't seen each other in a very long time and it was fun catching up over breakfast at Grub, a place I discovered when searching on the Internet for a new breakfast spot.

Grub is a charming little bistro on a small street in Hollywood. It had everything I look for in a brunch spot - early hours, casual environment, outdoor dining, and an interesting and reasonably priced menu. Another thing that caught my attention is that Grub is co-owned by Betty Fraser, a former contestant on Top Chef. Being a TC devotee, that sealed the deal. I'm happy to say that Grub delivered on all pistons. I had what's billed as their "Friggin' Amazin' French Toast." It was wonderful, though I usually prefer eggs for brunch over sweets. Leila, not a typical breakfast eater, had the pulled pork sandwich. I definitely intend to go back. Their lunch and dinner menus looked great, too.

By 11 am I was back at my computer pounding away towards the finish of Hot 'n Haunting. I am very pleased to say I wrote a crap load this weekend! And still managed to do laundry and vacuum, along with grooming a very disgruntled B. And, of course, I didn't miss a minute of True Blood or Drop Dead Diva!

Now it's off to the day job with a sense of a weekend well done.

Just 2 more weeks until Hot 'n Haunting is due to my publisher - pant, pant.

1 comment:

Sophie Littlefield said...

Sue Ann, thanks so much for coming out to see us! You can "do" the Bay Area any time you want :) Next time though don't forget to pencil us in for after hours...we missed you!