Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Come On, I Know You're In There

I'm struggling to write Hot 'n Haunting, the 2nd book in the Ghost of Granny Apples mystery series. It's not that I don't know what the story is. I do. It's not that I'm not spending time in front of the computer. I am. And it's not like the characters in the book aren't cooperating. They are. Even the ghosts.

What I've written so far, I like. So do the couple of readers I use as guinea pigs. But for some reason the remaining words are coming slower than usual. It's like there's a disconnect between my brain and my fingers. Like pulling an elephant through a keyhole. Like stuffing size nine feet into size 6 shoes. Like coaxing a cat into a bath.

Get the picture?

It's not writer's block. I know exactly what I want to say, I just can't seem to get the words to make the trip to the page.

Maybe I need to bait the words, like leaving cheese in a mousetrap. Maybe I can tempt them out with promises of something good and yummy. But what do you offer words stuck in the brain?

Come out and I'll give you a ... New hat? A Dove Bar? A pedicure? What will it take for you to come out of hiding and take your rightful place in the manuscript? Tell me. What? Name your price. Whatever is in my power to deliver, o' shy words of fiction, tell me and it's yours.

5 comments:

A.H. Ream said...

I write best against an impending deadline. Nothing like panic to get you typing =)

Sue Ann Jaffarian said...

The deadline is here. In fact, I'm into the extension period. But while half my brain is in panic mode, the other half is saying "whatever."

Cricket McRae said...

That is EXACTLY what happened to me as I finished my last book. Panic and "whatever" is a strange combination -- feels like you're typing through molasses. For what it's worth, I'm sending good thoughts your way.

Alan Orloff said...

Sometimes I find that Ipecac works to get those words out.

Jeannie said...

When I get stuck I write really bad. I purposely start babbling on to the paper until the flow starts flowing again.
Sometimes the babble is junk, other times I get a nice surprize out of it.
Give yourself permission to write badly. You can chop it up later.