Thursday, July 09, 2009

America's Got Freaks

I have decided that America's Got Talent should be renamed America's Got More Freaks Than Talent. This show is one of my (many) guilty pleasures. When the new season started a couple of weeks ago, I eagerly planned my dinner time around its time slot so not to interfere with other stuff I do - like writing.

Is it just me or does this season seem to have more misses than hits. I mean, I just don't get it. How can some of these people actually think what they do is a real talent. (Though I'm sure there are some readers out there who think that about my books.)

Do these people actually think what they do is worth $1 million? Or do most of them just want their 15 minutes of fame? I think it's more the latter. Many times, not just once in awhile, I am actually embarrassed on behalf of these folks. I've even shut my eyes and turned away, not wanting to witness the spectacle. Trust me, I get no pleasure watching some guy have money stapled to his head or listening to a yodeling dominatrix.

So why do I keep watching?

Because amongst all these train wrecks can be found gems that make all the pain worth while. EriAm, The Voices of Glory, Barbara Padilla, Acrodunk, Thia Megiam, Lawrence Beaman just to name a few who got me cheering. And this season there are a lot of talented kids on stage, not just a couple. I love watching talent's first bloom. Don't you? And for talent on the other end of the circle of life, you have to catch Grandma Lee.

Photos: Top - Voices of Glory; Bottom - EriAm


Alan Orloff said...

You mean there's a show on network TV where a guy staples money to his head?

And I missed it? I need to read TV Guide more thoroughly!

Beth Solheim said...

I find I have to cringe and turn away from the screen. I'm afraid someone will be maimed by a sword or chainsaw, or fall from the rafters!