Thursday, May 14, 2009

Your Name In One of My Novels


One of the things that brings me great joy is seeing my books raise money for worthy causes through the auctioning off of names of characters at fund raisers. Names in my books bring in an average of $300-$400 a pop, with the most raised to date being $1,800 for a pair of names at a live auction. It is also not unusual for bidders to approach me about how to get their name or the name of a loved one in one of my books after losing in the bidding.

On June 13th, I will be walking once again in the annual Ronald McDonald House Los Angeles Walk for Kids. And once again a team of people from my law firm will be participating. The team this year, however, is much smaller than last year, so I decided to get creative in my fund raising.

If you would like to have your name or the name of a friend or loved one in one of my future Odelia Grey novels or Ghost of Granny Apples novels, here’s your chance. Please read the information below carefully to avoid confusion and disappointment.

The Deal – The first 6 people to e-mail me offering a minimum donation of $100 to sponsor my walk for the Ronald McDonald House Los Angeles will receive a character’s name in either the 2nd Ghost of Granny Apples book (working title – “Hot ‘n Haunting” pub. date September 2010) or the 6th Odelia Grey novel (working title – “Body Bingo” pub. date February 2011). The six characters will be distributed three to each book. You may place more than one bid. A signed copy of the book will also be received upon publication.

The Details – Do NOT make your donation to the Ronald McDonald House YET. First e-mail me with your desire to enter the bidding. All e-mails should go to sue@sueannjaffarian.com and should have the words “Bid” in the subject line.

In your e-mail, provide your full name, your contact information, the name you would like used in the book, your relationship to the person whose name you are buying if it is not your own, and the book you would prefer that name to appear in. (If you are not obtaining this for yourself, please make sure the person will have NO objections to being in one of my novels.) The minimum bid is $100, but feel free to offer more. This is going to a very good cause. Note: This is not an auction. The prizes will go to the first 6 people offering at least a $100 donation.

Deadlines – The bidding is open immediately and closes upon the receipt of 6 fulfilled bids. Upon receipt of your bid, you will be directed on how to sponsor me directly with the event. Payment must be received by the walk officials before June 4th. In the event a bidder fails to make the promised donation, his or her bid will be voided and the spot will go to the next bidder based on time and date of bid received.

Fine Print – Bidder understands that this prize is for a character’s name only and such character may or may not bear any likeness in physical appearance or personality to the individual bearing the character’s name. By bidding, bidder hereby gives consent to the use of such name and releases Sue Ann Jaffarian and Midnight Ink/Llewellyn Worldwide from any and all liability in connection with the use of such name.

Let the bidding begin!

P.S. -- If you do not wish to bid on a character name, but still want to sponsor me on the walk, you may make any size donation by going to my page on the Ronald McDonald Los Angeles Walk for Kids website.

Thank you, everyone.

No comments: