Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Mouse is Back - YAY!

There is simply not enough time to read all the books I want to read and all the books I should read. I read a lot more before I started writing. Now, with 2 books a year under contract, I catch my pleasure reading whenever and wherever I can.

Take my Mud Run Training for instance ...

I started out listening to high energy music on my iPod Shuffle. In time I got bored and wished I could spend the hours on the trail listening to books instead. I was under the misguided impression that the tiny and convenient Shuffle wasn't suited for this. But being the good friend she is, Ashley pointed out the error in my thinking. She listens to books on her Shuffle all the time when she runs. So ... with a big gleam in my eye ... this past weekend I downloaded a book to my Shuffle and am happily "reading" 1 to 2 hours a day again.

For my first book I chose Little Scarlet by Walter Mosely, a book I'd been wanting to read for a couple of years. I LOVE Mosely's writing, especially his Easy Rawlins series. I've read most of the Rawlins books prior to Little Scarlet and was devastated when his friend, the colorful and deadly Raymond Alexander, better known as Mouse, was presumed killed. I say "presumed" because even when it happened, I never believed it. There was no body. It had been spirited away by Mouse's wife. The assumption was that Mouse was dead. Easy believed he was dead. I always held hope he was not.

Today on my daily 4 mi walk I reached the chapter in Little Scarlett that confirmed my suspicions and hope. Mouse is alive!!! Upon returning home, I did some research into Mosley's books. Seems that if I had read Six Easy Pieces, the collection of stories released between Little Scarlett and Bad Boy Brawley Brown, I would have known that. Silly me!

[Above, Don Cheadle stealing the scene from Denzel Washington with his portrayal of Mouse in Devil In A Blue Dress]

2 comments:

Alan Orloff said...

Sue Ann,

I listen to music when I run, but I've wondered about listening to books. How does it compare to reading them?

I'm a visual learner, not an auditory one, so I don't know if I would be lost or not.

Sue Ann Jaffarian said...

I love audio books. I used to listen to them a lot when I had a long commute to work. Now the commute is 3 miles, so it's hardly worth it. The key to a good audio book is the reader. A good reader makes all the difference and can bring the book to life, just like a good actor. A bad reader makes you turn the book off.

Try getting a couple from the library and giving them a try. That way you can find out for free if it's for you or not.

I remember listening to The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency on audio. I had to turn it off, but not because the reader was bad - she was marvelous. But her lilting voice and accent relaxed me so much it almost put me to sleep, like a lullabye. I switched to the printed book on that one.