Monday, April 13, 2009

You're Fired!

On Sunday evenings I like to veg. It’s a night for curling up with the cats to watch guilt-free TV. I might throw in a small load of laundry or do a little ironing, but the focus is on relaxation and any chores that get done are done in front of the tube or during commercials. My TV watching line up for Sunday evenings is usually 60 Minutes, The Amazing Race, and Cold Case. It’s a CBS love-fest. Lately, though, I’ve made some changes. 60 Minutes has been replaced by The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency and Cold Case by Donald Trump's Celebrity Apprentice. It’s this last substitution that has me worried.

I have no idea why I got hooked on Celebrity Apprentice. It caught me in a weak moment and appeals to my baser side, kind of like junk food. Until this season I’d never seen the show, celebrity version or otherwise, but a few weeks ago a trailer showing Dennis Rodman having a melt down caught my eye and drew me in like an innocent bunny lured to the stew pot by a demented, jilted lover.

Okay, Dennis Rodman is now off the show. I’m still watching it. See the problem here?

The celebrities on the show are from all walks of celebrity-dom. There are singers, comedians, actors, athletes, etc. You name it, they’ve got it. After following the show for a few weeks, I’ve decided the purpose of the show is to shell-shock people suffering from celebrity-itis back to reality. You see, this show doesn’t bring out the good in these people, who make more money than God, it brings out the bad, shines a spot light on it, and encourages it to tap-dance. It’s like Survivor, but with a better wardrobe. And like Survivor, it celebrates back-biting, lying, and poor sportsmanship. (Okay, okay - yes, I watch Suvivor - guilty!)

After watching a few shows of Celebrity Apprentice, I’ve decided that Melissa Rivers is a whiney brat who needs several long time outs and that her mother, Joan Rivers, needs a reality check about her daughter’s behavior. Joan, can we talk? Neither am I a fan of two-faced poker queen Annie Duke or bull-headed Clint Black. Khloe Kardashian is lazy and needs a real life, not a reality show. Dennis Rodman needs AA, but who didn’t already know that? These people were better off when they weren’t so up close and personal.

But all is not lost. I’ve given Hershel Walker and Jesse James gold stars. Please don’t disappoint me, gentlemen.

1 comment:

Kate Thornton said...

Gotta love No.1 Ladie's Detective Agency! But Donald Trump? Sue Ann, do you need air? Or food? Oh, okay, maybe there are addictions worse than chocolate and NCIS...

(My guilty TV pleasures include NCIS, Keith Olbermann and more NCIS. I got no room to talk!)

Love the new book title - congrats on finishing!
Kate