Saturday, April 18, 2009

Grey Gardens, Not Odelia Grey

Tonight I watched the HBO original movie Grey Gardens. I'd been intrigued by the trailer for a couple of weeks and am happy to say it did not disappoint. In fact, I was totally engrossed for the entire 2 hours.

Grey Gardens is the story of Edith Bouvier Beale and her daughter Edith ("Little Edie") Bouvier Beale, played beautifully by Jessica Lange and Drew Barrymore, respectively. The Beales were eccentric relatives of Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy Onasis who went from trust funds to squalor in a mansion in East Hampton.

The Beale women were the subject of a documentary in 1976 and the current movie encompasses their lives and the filming of that documentary. It's definitely something worth watching and I'll be surprised if Drew Barrymore doesn't snag an Emmy or at least a nomination for her role.

(Photo to the right is the real Little Edie.)


Rants and Raves said...

I will have to watch this. I watched the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency on HBO because you said it was very good. Guess what? You were so right. I'm addicted now.
On another note: Do you twitter?

Sue Ann Jaffarian said...

Nope, I do not Twitter. Nor do I expect to in the future. I grudingly got on Facebook because my editor asked me to do it, and am drawing the line there. :)

So glad you feel I haven't given you a bum steer - yet.