Thursday, April 02, 2009

Big Rig Crashes Into Flintridge Book Store and Coffee Shop

Last Thursday night I was at the Flintridge Book Store and Coffee Shop doing my book thing. Last night a run-a-way big rig crashed into that same book store, killing 2 and injuring 12 others. No one in the book store was hurt. See news article.

Realizing that a week ago I and many others, including several of my close friends, were gathered exactly where the truck hit, it gave me the willies and made my heart stop for a second or two. Thursday nights is when this store hosts author events. Thankfully, the accident happened on a Wednesday or it could have been even more devastating.

My heart goes out to those involved in this horrendous accident and especially to those who lost loved ones. Sandy and her staff are now facing a very tough time. Our wonderful independent bookstores are suffering enough in this economy without something like this speeding up their demise.

If and when things are back to normal for this delightful family bookstore, make sure you give them a shout out and visit them, and buy books!


A.H. Ream said...

There but for the grace of God go I, huh?

Sue Ann Jaffarian said...

You think? Especially considering you were there with me.