Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Reviewing the Loss

This past weekend the mystery community lost another great and valuable member - Barbara Franchi. Barbara was the founder and life force behind the website Reviewing the Evidence, a fabulous site dedicated to bringing reviews and news about everything in the mystery/thriller genre to the public. Barbara passed away on Saturday after a long fight with cancer.

Barbara, along with her husband Rudy and daughter Regina, attended my book launch parties regularly, and I sorely missed them at the recent party for Booby Trap. Barbara started off reviewing my Odelia Grey series and over time became a friend. Because we'd become friends, she had to pass off the reviewing duties for my books to her partners at RTE. The friendship was the better end of that deal. Barbara Franchi was a tough cookie with an acerbic wit and no nonsense attitude that kept me on my toes. I was honored to consider her a friend and that she enjoyed my books so much.

Originally, Barbara was on the list of attendees for Left Coast Crime in Hawaii this next week. I'm sure in the days to come many tropical drinks will be hoisted in her honor, and many stories shared about her dedication to our beloved corner of the writing world.

Mahalo, Barbara. You will be missed by us all.

1 comment:

Diana said...

Beautiful sentiment, Sue Ann. I'm sure Barbara is raising her Mai Tai to you right now! What a gal!!