Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Precious is a Winner!

Like a lot of folks, I've read Alexander McCall Smith's The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency. It's a delightful book, filled with charm and color, as are the other books in the series. When I learned that HBO was doing an original series based on Smith's books, I couldn't wait to see it. The new series premiered this past weekend and I caught it Monday night via On Demand.

The HBO series started off with a bang and captured all the original charm of the books. A big part of this successful launch is due to the wonderful cast, especially Jill Scott, who is absolutely perfect in the role of the intelligent, strong-willed, and optimistic Precious Ramotswe. Every single character in the pilot episode seemed perfectly cast, right down to Charlie, the villain, beautifully and chillingly played by the yummy Idris Elba.

If you're looking for car chases, 4-letter words, and gun battles, this is not for you. But if you're looking for great entertainment and top-notch acting set against the slow, melodic culture of Botswana, then get your popcorn, settle on the sofa, and put your feet up, because you're in for a real treat.

Hmmm, now that Precious has broken the barrier for plus size TV sleuths, maybe Odelia will have a shot at getting her own show. Now, there's a thought!

3 comments:

JeanC said...

I am almost tempted to order up HBO just to get the series. I LOVE the books and am so glad to hear they are being faithful to them in regards to the characters and all. But I will just have to wait until they come out on DVD and get them then.

I'd say if you could get a production company and group together like the ones doing The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency then there is no reason a series for Odelia shouldn't be made :) I wonder who we could hit up to get that into the works.

The Book Resort said...

I keep missing the series, but will catch up on them this weekend b/c we have HBO ON Demand

The Book Resort said...

I just couldn't get into the books. I am hoping to get into the mood & try the series again.