Monday, March 30, 2009

If Found On Ground...

With the Camp Pendleton Mud Run in only 68 days, I kicked my training into high gear this weekend. At least I kicked my fat ass into high gear. Saturday morning I hit the trail at Will Rogers State Park and hiked the loop to Inspiration Point - not once, but TWICE. The loop itself is approximately 2 to 2.5 miles of fairly steep dirt trail. From most sections of the trail, the hiker is treated to spectacular views of Los Angeles and Santa Monica, including the coastline and ocean.

Partway through the 2nd loop, I was pretty sure I was going to die on the trail. At least, I told myself, my final sight on this earth would be one of great beauty. But I didn't die. Armed with determination, a pair of stout but sturdy legs, a bottle of Crystal Light hydration water, and my cell phone in case of emergency, I trudged on, pleased as punch when I finally finished, tired but very much alive. In fact, later that day I was at my book signing at Mysteries to Die For in Thousand Oaks with nary a twinge of aches and pains.

I'm convinced that the key to doing the Mud Run is being able to conquer Suicide Hill without dying. Some folks think it's going to be scaling the walls. Some are terrified of the mud pits. Me, it's the two muddy steep hills, especially the big one. So each and every weekend that I'm in town, I intend to scale the heights to Inspiration Point at least twice, bettering my time with each attack. I might even try the Eagle Rock trail at Topanga Canyon in a few weeks. That's an even steeper trail.

Along the trail Saturday, it occurred to me that all this exercise has had many benefits besides the obvious. Before, I would never venture into a state park for a casual hike. Now I look forward to it. The training has definitely gotten me out of my routine and into nature, and expanded my taste for activity. I might even buy an annual pass to the park.

The band of us from the law firm who are doing the Mud Run are getting matching shirts. Shirley, one of my readers, sent me an e-mail with a link to a runner's apparel store called One More Mile. We loved the shirts so much that we're ordering from there. We've chosen to all be dressed in shirts of the "Ocean" color, but have decided we can each chose whatever style and saying we'd like for our shirt. Mine says: "If found on ground, please drag across finish line." Appropriate, don't you think? Thanks, Shirley!

1 comment:

Stefan Niemcewicz said...

http://www.mamashealth.com/run/htrain.asp

Hi Sue Ann, Above is a good short tip section on hill training. Hills are your friends and will offer you the some of the greatest rewards in this type of exercise and activity.

In addition, I would like to add this : Run "through the hill" . When approaching the hill, look a long distance beyond the top of the hill and set your eyes on that point, making a point several dozen yards beyond the top of the hill. Thus Running " Through the hill ". This will help in conquring and enjoying your hill runs and trainings.
Sincerely,
Stefan Niemcewicz