Sunday, March 15, 2009

I Can't Believe I Walked the Whole Thing!

Well, today I did it! I finally walked a 10K. I did it alone - just me, my iPod Shuffle and a bottle of water. The path I took was a combination of rolling hills, sharp inclines, and level patches. My goal was to do it in 2 hours or under. I did it in 2 hours, 10 minutes.

Fast forward a few hours later. See me on the sofa. See me unable to move from the waist down without pain. And that includes my feet. It's now 10 hours later. I'm still stiff but moving around a bit. That will teach me to go from a 5K to a 10K without adding additional distance a bit at a time.

On the bright side, my breathing was even throughout the whole walk, my pulse steady, and I never once clutched my chest and fell down. In fact, except for the aches and pains in my legs and feet and incredible exhaustion, it was rather enjoyable. Add to the mix that it was a beautiful day here on the westside of Los Angeles and you have a nice LONG walk.

The Mud Run is under 3 months way. That is a 10K with obstacles, mud and streams. I'm gonna have to improve my time and stamina a great deal before now and then. They have a time limit on the course, so I might get pulled off before I finish.

But this I vow: If I don't finish the Mud Run this time, I'll be back every year until I do.


A.H. Ream said...

I'm so proud. Sniff.

Eric said...

You go, girl. Or are you a go go girl? Or what? Your legs will recover. Feet, too. Good excuse for a massage.

Sue Ann Jaffarian said...

The aches and pains are gone this morning, but I'm still moving a bit slow. And a massage is definitely in the plan this week.