Tuesday, January 20, 2009

This Land Is My Land

Sunday I watched part of the Obama Inauguration concert on HBO. I was busy finishing Corpse on the Cob (which, by the way, was turned into my editor yesterday - YAY!), so couldn't watch the whole thing. But I caught the last 30 minutes and was glad I did.

I will forever remember Pete Seeger on stage in front of the Lincoln Memorial leading the enormous crowd in "This Land is Your Land," one of my favorite folk songs. Pete Seeger is 90 years old. As long as I can remember, he has fought for what he believes in, especially civil rights. In spite of being beaten and jailed for speaking out, he never gave up, never took the easy way out. His presence reminded me that change can occur and that individuals can be the catalyst for that change.

I cried through every stanza of the song, and even when I replay it on You Tube.

Nobody living can ever stop me
As I go walking that freedom highway
Nobody living can make me turn back
This land was made for you and me.

(last stanza of This Land is Your Land, by Woody Guthrie)

1 comment:

Eric said...

It was indeed one of those amazing, tearful moments. I do think "This Land Is My Land" would be a far better national anthem than the Star Spangled Banner, one that I could actually sing with some real feeling. And maybe even manage to hit all the notes.