Thursday, January 22, 2009

See Sue Run

As I write this blog this morning, I have just returned from my morning 2 mile walk. And I mean JUST, like less than 60 seconds ago. I'm pooped. I'm sweaty. And I'm excited. You see, today, for the first time since I was in my twenties or early thirties (we're talking about 25 or so years ago, folks), I ran a half mile without stopping. Okay. Okay. It wasn't a full RUN, but it was definitely NOT a walk. More like an anemic jog. But it was a RUN and I have the sweaty tee shirt to prove it. And, obviously, if I'm writing this, I didn't keel over.

As most of you know, I'm preparing my fat ass for the Camp Pendleton Mud Run on June 6th. I'm already registered for the event and now is when the going gets tough and the not-so-tough must move her kiester. My goal before the end of this month is to run the full 2 miles, stopping only for traffic signals (I don't want to be run over before the Mud Run kills me, do I? Where's the glory in that?)

Last January I set out to lose 100 lbs in 2008. I didn't do it. I failed to hit that goal. I hit several other goals in 2008, but not that one. But since last January I have lost just shy of 30 lbs and have kept it off. For 2009 my goal has changed. I'm not out to lose weight. I'm out to get fit. If the weight comes off as part of that challenge, great. But I'm not obsessing over numbers on the scale, just focusing on how far I can run without stopping. And today it was a half mile!

(Print above: Women Running by the late Beryl Cook.)

Addendum: When I got to work today, I told Todd, my supervising attorney, that I'd run 1/2 mile this morning. His response: "Intentionally or was a dog chasing you?" Now doesn't that sound like it belongs in an Odelia book?


A.H. Ream said...

My little baby cheetah is all grown up. Sniff.

Diana said...

I'm so proud of you! Your training coach is also. Good Job Ashley, you whipped her in shape!!

Stacia said...

Does Todd = Steele?!?!?!?

Sue Ann Jaffarian said...

No, Stacia, thankfully, Todd is NOTHING like Mike Steele. Not in looks, character or behavior. The only thing they may have in common is that they are both brilliant attorneys. But that comment is definitely Steele worthy with the right sneer and spin. In fact, look for it in Odelia Book #7, in the opening. :)