Thursday, January 01, 2009

New Year's Morning Musings and New Mantra

I woke up this morning, the first morning of 2009, feeling the sharp but light prick of a cat's claws in my skull. Raffi, my male cat, was on the pillow next to me, holding my head down firmly with one paw, licking my hair and purring. I consider this an auspicious beginning to the New Year. You see, I woke up feeling loved. Okay, maybe it's not the same as a significant other whispering sweet nothings in your ear, but considering I am significant other-less at the moment, I'll take it.

Once I managed to push the determined Raffi away, I stayed in bed and pondered my activities for the next few days. Why? Because I am officially ON VACATION from the law firm for the next 7 days!!! It will be a busy 7 days. I have a manuscript due in 12 days, and final edits on Granny Apples due in 15 days. There's no doubt that I will make both deadlines. I also want to clean out my closet, clean off my desk, take down Christmas decorations and spend time with friends.

For the past couple of years I have taken a week off at the beginning of the year. It was never planned that way. It just sort of happened. I intended to take time off for Christmas, but being that I am a corporate paralegal, there are always clients making a mad dash for year end, pushing my vacation into the new year. This morning I seriously considered making this a tradition - I should take off the first week of the new year EVERY year. It's a great way to start fresh.

After making that decision, I thought about my mantra for 2009. You know, the catch phrase that I will carry like a banner through the next 12 months to encourage and strengthen me. (I think last year's by default was either "bite me" or "f-off" or something equally hostile, and since it was a rough year in many respects, those sayings were put into play quite often.) Not this year. This year's mantra was carefully chosen for its positive message about moving on, leaving negative time consuming energy behind.


SHAKE IT OFF

I first heard these words on Show Time's Californication. The charming, cool and rather insane Lew Ashby said them to the broken hearted Becca Moody. Actually, what he told the teen was: "Shake it off, princess." Since I'm not about to refer to myself as princess, I took the liberty of editing it down to just "shake it off."

So in 2009 whenever anything annoys me, pisses me off, makes me nuts, or bounces around in my head like a pinball hitting all my buttons, I'm going to just say to myself - SHAKE IT OFF.

And all of you can remind me of that if ever you hear the words "bite me" or "f-off" come out of my mouth in 2009.

1 comment:

Diana said...

OHHHH - I AM SO GONNA USE THAT PHRASE.....
Your manager,
Diana