Sunday, December 21, 2008

Call Me Cratchit

For the past 3 days I did something I seldom do this time of year. I took a time out. For the past 3 days I've hardly worked on my Corpse on the Cob manuscript at all, outside of discussing the plot line and scribbling new ideas down on note papers. But when it came to sitting down and putting fingers to the keyboard for any length of time, I was MIA.

Friday, my law firm sent me to an all day mandatory notary class, which was followed by the CA notary exam. The class was actually interesting. I'd been a notary for several years in the past and there have been a lot of new and expanded laws since then. Not sure how I did on the test. I'll know in about 10-15 days. When I finally got home, I was beat, so took the night "off" from writing.

Saturday I ran around town doing last minute holiday errands and getting my hair cut and stuff like that. I even decorated my apartment, which I haven't done for the past few years. Saturday night was the law firm's annual holiday party. This year it was held at the new Montage Hotel in Beverly Hills. My friend Miles Holiman went with me again this year and we had a great time. Again, another day without writing. Although, in hindsight, I think I did pound out a few paragraphs.

Today was my birthday. I opened a couple of presents that came in the mail; made and received calls to and from family and friends. Then I met my friend and manager, Diana James, for brunch. Okay, during and after brunch we discussed Corpse on the Cob and other writing topics, but did I put fingers to the keyboard like I should have when I got home? Hell, no! I did some wrapping, reading, opened mail, played with the cats, answered e-mails, and generally goofed off. Except for changing the litter box, I didn't even do a household chore.

So now here I am, 10:30 p.m. on Sunday night, wondering where the weekend went. Wondering how in the hell I'm going to make my deadline with such behavior. And you know what? I'm not sure I care, at least not at this very minute. I know the book will get done on time (btw, I was granted an extension until January 12th.). It's coming along nicely. And, frankly, I needed a breather. It seems that every year the holidays pass me by. Well, not this year. Tomorrow I'm having dinner with my buddy Ashley Baker (aka A.H. Ream) and next weekend my friend Susan is coming up from Newport Beach.

This year, I'm taking time to smell the gingerbread and sing Oh Holy Night. This year, I'm not turning down invitations to brunch, dinner, and parties. Unlike the past few years, this year, I will not sacrifice my holidays and time with friends in pursuit of deadlines. Life is just too damn short.

This year, I will not be Ebenezer Scrooge. I will be Bob Cratchit.

1 comment:

Diana said...

I'm very proud of you... this is a lesson to all writers, don't let your writer life consume you.
You've been full steam ahead for years now, Sue Ann. It's time to stop and smell a few roses along the way.