Sunday, December 28, 2008

The Bucket List

This past week I finally took the time to watch The Bucket List, a movie with two of my favorite actors, Morgan Freeman and Jack Nicholson. In spite of its Make-A-Wish plot foundation - two 60+ cancer patients with less than a year to live fulfilling lifetime dreams - I thought this movie would be a lot funnier. Don't get me wrong, it was funny in many ways, but the humor wasn't the broad humor I expected based on the trailers. It was gallows humor. A type of humor I love and exercise myself on many an occasion.

Jack Nicholson, as usual, delivers one of my favorite lines just after he pukes his guts out from chemo: "Somewhere, some lucky guy's having a heart attack."

Gotta love that line. It's something I might say or think myself.

Bottom line, I loved this movie. Loved it enough to watch it twice within 4 days. Some of the improbable situations aside, I found the movie poignant and thought-provoking.

I've now started my own Bucket List. No, I've not been delivered tragic news. As far as I know, I'm healthy as a horse (one that's overfed and under exercised, at least). I'm all about setting goals for short periods, but this movie got me to thinking about all the things I'd like to do and see before I kick the bucket. So why not make that list and start crossing things off now, before doctors start the egg timer.

The first item on my list has already been accomplished: become a published author. So, you see, I'm already on my way.

I expect the list to be a work in progress, but on it so far are things like:

Own my own home
Travel the British Isles
See Santa Fe, New Mexico
Take an Alaskan Cruise
Publish a non-mystery novel
River raft through the Grand Canyon

Do you have a bucket list?


Stacia said...

I don't have a "Bucket List" per se, but I've always wanted to go to Sante Fe, too. Maybe I'll meet you there someday!

Diana said...

Hey Sue - I have a "Dreams List" which I started in l990 and continue to add to. Some of the items have been moved to the "goals section" of my life where I act upon them.

One of the dreams that I hope to accomplish before I die is to meet a sitting US President. That is one goal I definitely have not accept upon in the last 8 years... if I met Bush, the Secret Service would have to pull met off of his bony, useless ass!!!

As for travel, Australia is highest of list of places to see.