Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Twist My Words, Please!

With just 43 days left until Corpse on the Cob hits my editor's desk, I've hit a wall. It's not a brick wall, but one made of barbed wire; so while it can be penetrated, it won't be without nasty snags and cuts. It happened last night and I stayed up until 1:00 a.m. stewing about it, finally falling asleep around 2:00 a.m. This isn't new, I hit these glitches in every book. It's that sudden worry that while I'm chugging along merrily on my manuscript, I might have forgotten something important along the way. It's a lot like the cold clammy feeling you get when you're about to step out your front door and suddenly wonder if you've forgotten to put on your bra or brush your teeth, or maybe you still have on furry bunny slippers instead of real shoes.

With the morning (and sleep) came some clarity. Instead of writing, I stayed in bed and ruminated over the plot, subplots, and characters, moving them around in my head like a Rubick's cube until I spotted the problem and came up with a solution. But alas, putting the solution to paper will have to wait. I have a day job to get to.

No comments: