Wednesday, November 12, 2008

I Vant To Drink Your Blood

I love to watch TV – probably as much as I love to read. To me the perfect day of relaxation is to read, write, and watch the tube/movies – all in my jammies. One thing I don’t enjoy, though, is being scared spitless. I don’t like horror movies or horror books. It took me years to finally sit down and watch The Shining and have only seen it the one time. Poltergeist and Interview with a Vampire were also movies that finally got viewed at home on the small screen … with all the lights on … in broad daylight. I also confess to having never read a Dean Koontz or Stephen King novel.

Yeah, I know, I write a ghost mystery series. But Granny Apples is not a scary ghost. She’s not exactly Casper the goody-two-shoes ghost either, but she’s not the type who will keep you awake at night with eerie calls and rattling chains. Granny Apples is more like George and Marion Kerby, the ghosts from Topper.

Recently, I started watching True Blood. The HBO original series based on the Southern Vampire books by the extremely talented Charlaine Harris. For those of you not in the know, True Blood is about vampires living among humans, trying in some cases to go main stream. The heroine is Sookie Stackhouse, a spunky young waitress who falls in love with Bill Compton, a vampire circa The Civil War.

I was a big fan of the Highlander series in which certain mortals, when they died, were resurrected as immortals. They walked amongst us mostly undetected, occasionally lopping off each other’s heads, waiting until there was only one of them left. I love the fictional plot line of immortality. It’s interesting to ponder the idea that certain individuals could live forever, experiencing all phases of history, while trying to balance a somewhat normal life. The downside being that they outlive the people they love, experiencing loss over and over again. The thing about the immortals in Highlander is that they were relatively harmless to humans. Vampires, on the other hand, feed off of humans, and in True Blood it is not uncommon for the vampires to refer to human as “pets.” (Excuse me!)

True Blood is campy, thought provoking, and extremely graphic in both sex and violence. In every episode there are scenes in which I have to turn my head and wait for the gore to be over. Some days I'm not even sure I like it, but like a horrific car accident, I can’t help myself. I have to look. It has me hooked.

I have never read any of Charlaine Harris’ vampire books, but I’m thinking I might have to now that I’ve seen this series. Though I doubt I’ll be reading them right before bed.

1 comment:

Diana said...

I just HAVE to get HBO again... everyone is talking about this series.
Go Charlaine!!