Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Have You Voted Yet?

I just returned from voting. Four years ago the line was very long when I got there around 9 a.m., so this morning I arrived at my polling place, the Palms Elementary School auditorium, at 6:45 a.m. I counted at least 60 people in line ahead of me. When I left the polls at about 7:30, a line of at least 200 people snaked its way from the entrance, down the sidewalk on Motor Ave., and turned the corner at Palms Blvd. And every second I watched while waiting for the light to change, new voters joined the line. I can only imagine what it will look like by 9 a.m.

The overall mood of the voters was one of expectation and excitement, even though the morning was cool and damp from early morning rain. Many people brought folding chairs, a lot brought books, and a quite a few hovered over tall paper cups and travel mugs of coffee. There were even several clusters of friends and families grouped together chatting and laughing. I didn't see a cranky person in the bunch.

No matter who wins (although I'll be glued to my TV tonight rooting for my guy), one of the most important byproducts of this election has been the way the public has rediscovered the joy, privilege, and importance of voting. I've been doing this a long time, and remember many elections with reports of "record low" turnouts. This year they are predicting record high turnouts.

What an exciting day for all of us!

1 comment:

Stacia said...

I arrived at the elementary school at about 10:15 am; the polls had opened at 10 am. I have never seen so many people there before! But I was in and out in about 5 minutes. Ahhh, the beauty of small-town life. I don't even have to tell the check-in or check-out people my name....