Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Game On!

I did something yesterday that is going to totally change my life. No, I didn't have lap-band surgery (which I am dead-set against, by the way). I didn't get married or even meet the man of my dreams. And I certainly didn't win the lottery.

Yesterday, I met with my agent and put my Jane Hancock to those 6 additional contracts for Odelia Grey novels. You know, those 6 that now make Odelia committed, along with me, for 12 books total? Signing 18 contracts (3 originals x 6) makes a gal think. Wow, now I have to put my brain and my fingers where my mouth is and produce these suckers! But truthfully, I'm not worried about that. I know I can do it. I don't think about the daunting task of having to write 8 more Odelia's (I'm working on #5 now). I think about it as being able to go forward without the worry of whether or not someone is going to pick up any more Odelia books. But as I've discussed here before, publishing is a fickle mistress. While I have these long-term contracts, it doesn't mean my publisher will publish them all. A change in the market or in my reader base could cause my publisher to cut me loose down the line. As I've said before, it's all about the sales numbers.

But with great optimism, I met with my manager last night at the food court at the Century City Mall (elegant, huh?). We toasted the signing of the contracts over Mediterranean food, shared a chocolate eclair for desert, and plotted my career, both long term and short term.

You see, it's not enough to sign contracts and write the books. Serious writers must also have a game plan, a play book of strategies to ensure those books get to the marketplace. Some strategies will work. Some will not. But, bottom line, you have to have a plan. Any writer who writes a book, has it published, then sits around going "what's next" is never going to see the bone-rattling tackle that leaves him face down in the mud. Like a good quarterback, you have to keep moving and planning. You always have to be thinking ahead while you write that current book. That's one of the big differences between a writing career and writing as a hobby.

So I'm suiting up and putting on my helmet, readying myself for the Big Game.

Go Team Odelia!

3 comments:

Stacia said...

I have but one thing to say: Woo-hoo!!

P.S. I am ready whenever Granny is....

Lindsay said...

YEA!!! Official congrats from the niece, nephew-in-law and soon-to-be great niece!!!

sparkly_jules said...

Congratulations! I know you will be successful!!

Just curious, though: why are you against lapband surgery? Are you opposed to any other WLS?

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.

Jules