Monday, September 08, 2008


Here I am, back at my computer early in the morning, trying to get back on my usual morning writing/exercising schedule. After completing The Ghost of Granny Apples, I granted myself a 2-week mental holiday from writing. Well, that stretched into 3 weeks with some short bursts of writing here and there. But now it's time to focus and stay the course. No time available to fritter away. Odelia book #5, Corpse on the Cob, is due January 15th. My goal is to have 100 pages done and off to my publisher by the end of September. I already have 40.

In the next few months, in addition to writing Corpse on the Cob, I have to read through the Author's Review Copy of Booby Trap and do the final edits on The Ghost of Granny Apples. My publisher loved Granny and had very few suggested changes, but those few changes still have to be done. This is my favorite part of writing. The final hurrah before the book gets prepped for print. The last time I get to go through the book line by line and polish it up like a shiny apple before sending it off into the wild blue yonder. It won't take long, but it will be the most detail oriented of the editing process.

Saturday was a day spent at home doing chores and catching up on the business of writing. People don't realize how much goes into a book outside of the actual writing. My manager and I got the newsletter ready for distribution this week and plotted some new marketing plans. I wrote blogs. Did some research and prepared two speeches for next week when I head up to San Mateo for a couple of days.

Sunday I attended the monthly meeting of Sisters In Crime/Los Angeles. The program featured Gary Phillips, Naomi Hirahara and Gar Anthony Haywood, three of the authors from the edgy new anthology The Darker Mask: Heroes from the Shadows, a collection of short stories in which the crime fighters are superheroes. Jazz muscian Jack Maeby entertained us with a reading from his novel The Thorazine Mirrorball.

Fun's over. Let the fun being. Next!

Above: Time Flies by Chris Young.

No comments: