Monday, September 29, 2008

"I got vision and the rest of the world wears bifocals."

The above line, delivered by Paul Newman in Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, is one of my all-time favorite movie lines from my favorite Paul Newman movie. It also sums up nicely Paul Newman's life, which ended Friday. He is an example of a man who lived life to the fullest, taking advantage of his celebrity and gifts to make the world a better place. He made it Newman's Own. We should all be so fortunate and insightful.

I've seen just about all of Newman's films, and it's difficult to choose the best, but Butch Cassidy wins as my favorite, followed by The Verdict, The Sting and Cool Hand Luke. He was also wonderful in the TV mini-series Empire Falls.

Bravo, Mr. Newman, for a life well-lived.

For another Newman-esq ode, check out Mark Combes posting at Inkspot.

1 comment:

Mark Combes said...

I think my favorite Newman movie is Cool Hand Luke - but I think his best performance is in The Verdict.

I've always had deep admiration Mr. Newman. They don't make them like that anymore....