Monday, July 21, 2008

Out of Hibernation

Hope everyone had a great weekend! Mine was very productive. Got a lot of The Ghost of Granny Apples completed. Rested my injured heel and squeezed in a lot of reading. I even did my part for the environment by not moving my car the whole weekend. In fact, I never even left my apartment after arriving home on Friday night. Every now and then I love to hole up for a few days with just me, the cats, and my writing. But today is Monday and I’m eager to get out into the world.

This morning, instead of writing, I did some more research for Granny. Detective Martinez of the San Diego County Sheriff’s Department was kind enough to give me some time on the phone to go over murder procedures in their jurisdiction, specifically a fictional murder in the small, charming town of Julian. Unfortunately, I now have to tweak a few things in the work I did over the weekend, but it pays to get it right. I strongly believe that even if you write humorous mysteries, the procedural information should be accurate, and most law enforcement agencies are thrilled to give you the skinny. I even asked the good detective what he would do if a witness told him a ghost gave her the information. To his credit, he did not laugh, but was very professional in his reply. Yes, it’s going in the book.

Finished up TKO by Tom Schreck this weekend. It’s a HOOT! Definitely add this delightful book to your reading list. It’s funny, irreverent, and well plotted. I promise the adventures of Duffy Dombrowski, Schlitz-drinking, social worker/boxer, and his Muslim basset hound Al will keep you entertained.

Next up on my reading list: Death of a Cozy Writer by G.M. Malliet.

No comments: