Saturday, June 14, 2008

Sometimes a Half Gallon Isn't Just a Half Gallon

Okay, who shrunk the ice cream when I wasn’t looking?

Tonight at the grocery store, I decided to buy some ice cream. My absolute fav brand is Ben & Jerry’s, Cherry Garcia and Phish Food, in particular. But tonight I decided to buy my 2nd favorite brand, Dreyer’s (or Edy’s to you folks in the East). There were two reasons for this abandonment of Vermont’s finest: 1) they had spumoni, another favorite flavor that’s not often in stores; and 2) it was on SALE. I could get a whole half gallon for less than a pint of B&J. Such a deal!

But wait! What’s happened to the ice cream carton? At first I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me. After all, it had been awhile since I’d bought a large container of ice cream. But no! My eyes had sized up the carton with precision. It was not only redesigned, it was smaller than it used to be! Something that was confirmed when I read the product information. The “half gallon” container contained merely 1 and ½ quarts of cold and creamy delight. I checked the other brands and they, too, had recently undergone reduction surgery. I guess instead of raising prices, the various ice cream companies simply reduced the size of their package, giving us less for the same price instead of the same amount for a higher price.

I really don’t mind getting less. I eat less ice cream than I used to so a smaller amount means less freezer burn because it will disappear quicker. I also don’t want to pay more for ice cream. I don’t want to pay more for anything, including gas, food, shelter and clothing. I’m funny that way.

But here’s the thing. A “half gallon” of ice cream not really being a half gallon in size just doesn’t seem right. I mean, it’s awkward.

“Hey, honey, while you’re at the market, pick up a quart and a half of rocky road.”

See. It’s just not right.

1 comment:

Marin said...

Its at times like these when I wish I still lived in Texas where I could get Blue Bell Ice Cream, they're still selling the half gallon. Good people, good texans, AWESOME ice cream! Sigh...

On an ice cream related note, have you tried Dove's Chocolate & Cherry Courtship Ice Cream? I don't know if I can go back to a different chocolate/cherry flavor ever again!