Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Keeping Time with the Music

This morning I walked another 5K. Since the Mud Run is only one year away, it's important for me to get my cardio built up. My goal is to walk 3-4 of them a week for now, maybe 4-5 a week later. I don't plan on tackling a 10K walk until August or September. 1) It takes more time and I'm on a big deadline right now; 2) I'm not ready for that distance yet. Eventually, as more weight comes off (I've lost about 25 lbs now), I'll start to jog part of it.

However, this morning I did something different. I took my tunes with me. As much as I love music, I'm not a big music-holic. I don't follow any specific style or performer or group. I just like what I like and what fits the moment. Some authors listen to music while they write. I cannot. I find it too distracting, even if it's a light and lovely classical piece. In the past, I've never even listened to music while I walked. Usually, I use my exercise time to think about plot twists, dialogue and red herrings. And, of course, when I walk with friends, I spend the time gabbing.

Armed with my iPod Shuffle and tunes especially chosen to get my feet moving, I hit the road this morning at 6: 10 a.m. What a difference! I definitely moved faster, even shaved 5 min off my usual time. My legs kept time with the music. I was less focused on how tired and hot I was getting with each step, and the miles flew by. Before I knew it, I was almost home.

What do I listen to on the road? Some of my get-my-ass-moving favorites are:

I Want to Know by Marc Anthony
Eye of the Tiger by Survivor
Respect by Aretha Franklin
Proud Mary, The Best and What's Love Got To Do With It by Tina Turner
It's Still Rock and Roll to Me and Only the Good Die Young by Bill Joel

But the best tune came at the end when I rounded the corner and saw my apartment building just 1 block away. Yes, it was [ insert drum roll] the theme from Rocky (Gotta Fly Now). And I swear I didn't plan it that way. Talk about timing! When I hiked up the 3 flights of stairs to my apartment, I almost felt like raising my arms high in the air and dancing.

I said almost.


No comments: