Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Saying Goodbye to Someone Special

When seated on panels with other authors, I am often asked who has influenced my writing most. Of course, the question means which writers have influenced me. But what about others who have put their mark on my craft?

Yesterday I learned that Barbara Moore, my editor, is leaving Midnight Ink/Llewellyn Worldwide after being with them for ten years. She and I have worked together for the past three years or so on projects which include the Odelia Grey series and the upcoming Granny Apples series. In fact, if not for Barbara, there wouldn’t even be a Granny Apples.

Granny Apples came into being when Barbara and I were casually chatting via e-mail about the paranormal. I told her about a short story idea I had about a ghost who teams up with her great great great granddaughter. Barbara asked for more information about it. One thing led to another, and before I knew it my short story had blossomed into a full-blown series. Shortly after, my agent shipped off a synopsis and sample chapters for Midnight’s consideration, which, in turn, garnered me a three-book deal for a new series.
Barbara’s probing for more story line nudged me into seeing its potential as a series. Granny Apples was my idea, but Barbara brought it into the world and spanked it on its butt.

Barbara Moore is herself a writer. She has penned several books on Tarot and is leaving Llewellyn to pursue writing and free lance editing. I wish her great success, but I’m going to miss her greatly. So will Odelia and Granny. Her insight, professionalism and patience has enhanced both my career and my craft, and her friendship has enhanced my life.

Thank you, Barbara, for midwifing my writing career!

No comments: