Tuesday, May 20, 2008

In Training

As many of you know who read this blog, I’ve been on a mission to lose 100 lbs in 2008. Well, several months ago I stalled at 22 lbs, wobbled, and then staggered backward when my life hit yet another pot hole of work crap, deadlines and, oh yeah, a car fire. In my regression, I gained 9 lbs of it back in a frenzy of comfort eating. Now I’m back on track and have re-lost the errant 9 lbs.

Another thing many of you understand about me is that I’m goal oriented. I focus on one thing like a heat seeking missile and go for it. I did that when I decided nearly 20 years ago to take my Certified Legal Assistant Exam. It was a grueling 2-day exam (like a mini-bar, but for paralegals). I studied like a mad woman for 8-9 months and passed on my first try. Not bad for an exam with a traditionally dismal first try pass rate. I did the same when I finally set my hand at following my dream of being a published writer. I made the commitment and did whatever I needed to do to make it happen. Staying the course until my dream came true. And even today sacrificing to continue the dream. I learned late in life that without goals, I run around aimlessly, wasting time and energy.

Now I’m in training for the 2009 Mud Run.

The Mud Run is an annual 10K run through the Camp Pendleton obstacle course. On top of that they hose it down to create a slippery bog. I have yet to run a standard, level course, 5K, let alone a 10K through a muddy military obstacle course with one section fondly referred to as “Suicide Hill,” yet my dream is to participate in the June 2009 Mud Run. Yes, I know, this makes me officially certifiable.

I see this as killing two birds/goals at once. You see, if this training doesn’t peel the weight off me like an overripe banana, it ain’t coming off. Currently, I’m trading off weight training with cardio. I work out in a gym 3 days a week and walk/run 2.5 miles the other days on a course with a hill. Okay, okay, it’s not Suicide Hill, more like Whine Ass Hill, but still, I’m doing it. My self-training begins every morning between 5:30-6 a.m. By 7-7:30 a.m. I’m at my computer writing, then it’s off to work at ye ole day job.

In a few weeks, I start my hardcore training with my pal and fellow author A. H. Ream (aka Ashley Baker). Ashley runs ultra marathons, so who better to enlist as a trainer? She’s very excited and has many plans for my fat ass, which is beginning to worry me a bit.

Anyway, thought I’d let you folks know. So if you don’t hear from me for awhile, check with Ashley. She’ll be able to lead you to the body.

Oh, in case you (and I) have forgotten, I’m 55 years old. But then, Rocky Balboa stepped back into the ring in his 50’s. Why can’t I?

However, I draw the line at drinking raw eggs.


A.H. Ream said...

I'll get you through that course if I have to carry you myself. =)

Loni Emmert said...

If anyone can do it Sue Ann, you can. I decided today that I want to take at least one walking vacation through England before I turn fifty in a few years. Which means I need to start getting in shape now. In a small start I got up off my desk chair and took the stairs. I'll follow your progress and you'll be my inspiration for those days when I am too lazy to make an effort. Here's to Mud'09.

Sue Ann Jaffarian said...

Loni - what a neat goal. After reading your comment, I started looking up walking tours of Europe/US. I want to do one now! After the Mud Run, of course. HA HA After that, walking through England should be a piece of beef and kidney pie!


carriervt said...

Sue Ann,

You and I have a lot in common. On Dec 11, 2007 I began my 100lb weight loss journey (I have lost 64 to date). I am also training for the 2009 Mud Run. I am a little intimidated by the 2 5ft walls, since I am only 5ft tall.

Good Luck to you!

Sue Ann Jaffarian said...

Wow, Carriervt! You are doing so much better than I am on the weight thing. CONGRATULATIONS! I will use you as inspiration!

Let's correspond more about Mud Run 2009. My e-mail is sue@sueannjaffarian.com. Would love to hear from you.