Thursday, May 15, 2008

Black Thumb, Green Heart

This is my favorite time of year. Here in California everything is in bloom, including one of my favorites - the jacaranda. Driving home last night from the office, I was treated to streets ablaze with the purple tree. It's funny, I drive this route twice a day, five days a week, and it was just yesterday that I noticed all the jacarandas in bloom. It's like they suddenly woke up and shook their blooms out into full glory. Or maybe I was the one who woke up and finally noticed. Either way, all around the west side of Los Angeles the jacarandas are gracing our concrete jungle with their majestic beauty.

About two weeks ago, I took a very quick, one day trip down to Julian, CA to do some last minute research for The Ghost of Granny Apples. I'd been to Julian twice before - once at the end of June and once in late March. What a treat it was to travel that same rural highway in early May! All along the country roads to and throughout the Julian area, wild poppies and lavender were in bloom. It was everywhere - fields, people's yards, vacant lots. And many of the hillsides were adorned with tall grass that turned the land into fields of honey-colored gold.

I'm the sort of person who can't keep a plant alive unless it's made of silk. It's true! I just tossed two dead plants in my office and at home all greenery is fake. So I think I'll just sit back and let Mother Nature do her thing and amaze me. After all, she does it so well.

No comments: