Thursday, April 10, 2008

Outraged Again

My heart gets broken on a regular basis. And not from romantic involvements gone sour. It’s the news. The daily news breaks my heart and stirs my blood into a boil constantly. This morning when I woke up and turned on the radio I heard about the 16-year-old girl in Lakeland, Florida who was nearly beaten to death by her “friends” because she talked trash on MySpace. She was BEATEN OVER AND OVER and the incident was TAPED by her attackers to be posted on MySpace and YouTube.

Moreover, the police said the girls who did the beating showed no remorse … whatsoever!

"When they were in a holding cell, they were all laughing," [Sheriff] Judd says. "One of the teens arrested, who is a cheerleader, asked, 'Does this mean I'm going to miss cheerleading practice tomorrow?' The others were cutting up and said, 'It looks like we won't be going to the beach this weekend.'" Read story.

These were teenage girls; almost grown women. They are old enough to know the difference between right and wrong. But obviously were never taught right from wrong. You think jail time might beat it into them? Can we film their asses being marched off to prison for YouTube? Can we, huh? If these girls get off with merely a slap on their wrists, my heart will break again. Can I fly out to Florida and serve on THAT jury? Can I, huh?

What is wrong with this freaking world?


In the mood for a bit lighter reading. Fly on over to Inkspot. Author J. B. Stanley posted a hilarious encounter with woodpeckers. And she forgot to video it. Darn!

1 comment:

Miles said...

No sooner have the perps landed in jail than the exploiters go to work. First "Dr." Phil posts bail for one of the offenders. Then the father of the victim announces that he's hired Gloria Allred.