Tuesday, March 11, 2008

I just finished one of my favorite phases of writing – that of incorporating the editorial suggestions of my publisher. And, no, I’m not being facetious when I say that. I really do love doing this final round of edits.

For those not familiar with this stage of novel writing, it comes about a month or so after you’ve submitted your manuscript to your publisher. In my case, they have a meeting at which numerous folks who have read my manuscript discuss it. After, my editor e-mails me a list of things the editorial committee feels should be added, tightened, clarified, etc. The list is never long and I’ve found in my time with Midnight Ink that almost all of their suggestions are helpful and will make the book stronger.

And that is exactly why I love this particular process. My publisher’s job is to help me produce the very best book possible. After considering the editorial remarks, I return to the computer and do a complete line by line, word by word, fine comb editing of the entire manuscript, incorporating along the way their suggestions. By this time, I’ve had a 4-6 week break from the book I had been slaving over for so long, so I’m seeing it with fresh eyes and a rested (hopefully) brain. And that is what makes all the difference.

After working almost every non-day job moment for the past 2 weeks on it, I finished my final edits on Epitaph Envy/Booby Trap this morning. And I’m very happy with the results. Every single suggestion made by the folks at Midnight Ink contributed to it becoming a better, stronger and more entertaining book. (I hear they're making the final decision on the title on April 1st. Personally, I'm rooting for Booby Trap.)

But now I REALLY MUST get back to work on The Ghost of Granny Apples!

Weigh in day was yesterday. I lost another 2 lbs for a total of 21 lbs lost since January 1st.

2 comments:

Diana said...

Congrats! You'll easily meet your month's goal of 25 pounds! Lookin' good!

Diana

LouisaDaniele said...

Way to go! Keep it up!

Louisa
American Beauties Plus Florida Woman