Wednesday, January 02, 2008

In 2008 I Want to Be a Loser

Last year I set many ambitious goals. I met some of them, but most are still in progress or went by the wayside in all the hullabaloo. There were some big surprises in 2007, too. I landed a 3-book contract for a new mystery series that wasn't even on my radar last year at this time. And my day job got a lot crazier because of the loss of several attorneys in my department and an increased workload. But all in all, 2007 was a good year.

For 2008, I've decided to trim down, and in more ways than one. First of all, instead of a whole grocery list, I'm only setting 3 goals for 2008, but all three are big ones. I will not be going to any book conferences this year, but instead will make shorter, less expensive trips for book signings. For 2008 I want to concentrate on getting the new Granny Apples series defined and the first book written, and spend more time taking care of myself physically and emotionally.

Writing and promotion are very hard work and I have been hitting it hard for the past few years. Coupled with a demanding day job, it left me exhausted and stressed to the max by the end of 2007. Book signings and promotions will still be done, but more locally and less frequently to allow me to rest up to hit the road in 2009 when Epitaph Envy is launched in February and The Ghost of Granny Apples comes out in September.

So here's my list, read it and laugh, or read it and gasp. But next year at this time, I expect to be able to say I hit all three!

1. Finish The Ghost of Granny Apples by July 4th. (It's due August 1st.)

2. Finish the 5th Odelia Grey novel, Fifty Can Be Fatal, by November 1st, so that when the crap hits the fan at work next November and December, I'll be better prepared and not scrambling for writing time.

3. Lose 100 pounds.

Yes, you read that correctly. Goal #3 is my personal promise to myself. Last year I set the goal to become healthier and blew it off. This year, it's the most important one on the list. Although my publisher might think #1 and #2 are the most important. :)

But have no fear, dear readers, Odelia will not be losing any weight. I love her just the way she is. But she's fictional and I am not, and that makes all the difference.

I intend to reach goal #3 in a slow and healthy manner -- no drugs, no surgery, no fad diets -- just concentrating on learning and implementing a healthier lifestyle. I joined Weight Watchers online today and have set up a more frequent exercise program. I also joined The Biggest Loser Club because it's fun and inspirational. In fact, I'm already involved with a 30 day challenge with several other women on TBLC. My user name for both is OdeliaGrey (what else!). If you are a member of either of these groups, please say hello.

As for blogging about this issue and making it public, it's because I think it's important for me to put my ass on the line. Next year I intend for it to be a smaller ass. I want to blog about my journey as a means of therapy and because I want you all to share in it and lend me your support.


Cheers for 2008!


Felicia Donovan said...

If anyone can do it, you can, Sue Ann. You've reached so many goals already.

By the way, you've been TAGGED! Wanna play?

Alice Zogg said...

Bravo, Sue Ann, for making your health goal number one. You will succeed, no doubt!


Alice Zogg

Sue Ann Jaffarian said...

Thanks, Ladies, for your support! It means a lot to me.

Moe said...

I think having goals is important. Best wishes for meeting them but don't beat your self up if you don't. It's more important that we are flexible to what's ahead.

Maybe we should start a group. The 100 club or something. LOL.